Mexican Rice yum yum...


What a beautiful day for a new recipe to try... that's what you were thinking right? I knew it!

So today I have Pioneer Woman's Mexican Rice. It's out of her new cookbook Food From My Frontier and really quite tasty. I made it alongside her Beef & Bean Burritos... but that's a recipe for another day. So here you go folks- Mexican Rice

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups long- grain rice
  • 1 10oz. can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles (I didn't have these so I used one 7 oz can green chiles and a 28oz can diced tomatoes instead of the one below)
  • 1 14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2-3 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the rice doesn't burn. Add the Rotel, whole tomatoes, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer to 10- 15 minutes (15 for me) more, or until the rice is done. Add more liquid as needed; the rice shouldn't be sticky.

Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. oh i missed this--looks delicious, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight with enchiladas and it was SO GOOD! Absolutely going into the make-again binder :) Thanks Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sprinkles- Awesome! I just made it again last week too! So good... and we always have so much leftovers which I love

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts